This easy vegan lentil bolognese, created by Kelsey Riley, the founder of Planted in the Kitchen, is hearty and delicious! It’s full of fresh veggies, nourishing lentils, and has plenty of room to modify to fit your preferences. With ingredients like this, you’ll be full and satisfied for hours after dinner is over.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup red lentils
- 1 24 oz jar of pasta sauce
- ½ cup water
- start by rinsing your lentils under cool water. Take this opportunity to look through the lentils and remove any little rocks (sounds crazy, I know). After rinsing, place the lentils in a bowl with warm water and set aside to soak and soften for about 45 minutes.
- once your lentils have finished soaking, finely chop your veggies and add them to a large pot with the olive oil and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and sauté for about one minute longer.
- add the sauce, water, and drained lentils to the pot and bring to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, lower to a simmer and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils and veggies are soft.
- serve with your favorite pasta or veggie noodles and enjoy!
Add plant-based “sausage” or vegan “meatballs” for an extra hearty meal.
If you like your sauce to have a kick of spice, add 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
About the Chef:
Kelsey Riley is the founder of Planted in the Kitchen. She is a registered nurse and recipe developer with a passion for plant-based food. She loves using fresh, healthy ingredients to make bright and beautiful recipes. Kelsey believes in a holistic approach to health, wellness, and everyday living. Her goal is to show others that eating a plant-based/vegan diet can be both easy and delicious.