Perfect dish to warm up the colder days, this delicious Buffalo Chicken Chili is a cross between your favorite buffalo chicken wings and cozy chili that can be made in your slow cooker or Instant Pot. It is also freezer friendly.
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 3 large celery stalks chopped
- 2 x 15 oz cans any low sodium beans drained & rinsed
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes low sodium
- 1/4 cup Frank’s red hot sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 lbs chicken breasts skinless & boneless
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- avocado oil for frying
- cilantro green onion, lime and tortilla chips, for garnish
- preheat a large skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery; sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- transfer to a large slow cooker along with beans, diced tomatoes, Frank’s red hot sauce, maple syrup, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and salt. Stir to combine.
- add chicken breasts and push on them to sink in. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- in Instant Pot, add ingredients in the following order: garlic, onion, carrots, celery, beans, maple syrup, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, chicken, Frank’s red hot sauce and diced tomatoes. Do not stir!
- close the lid, set the pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 30 minutes. To release the pressure, do a quick release by turning the pressure valve to Venting position until the float valve drops down.
- remove chicken breasts, shred with 2 forks and return to the slow cooker/Instant Pot. Add blue cheese, stir and let sit for a few minutes.
- serve hot, garnished with cilantro, green onion and lime. And tortilla chips if you have any.:)
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
Freezer meal: Please see recipe website for directions.
About the chef:
Olena Osipov is the founder and recipe developer at iFOODreal.com. Originally from the Ukraine, she now resides on Vancouver Island in British Columbia with her husband and two boys. The focus at iFOODreal is on sharing easy healthy recipes with simple ingredients and mostly dinner recipes because “What’s for Dinner?” is a question that is never going away. From meal plans to everyday recipes, Olena is here to show you that healthy cooking can be enjoyable and delicious.
All recipes by Olena Osipov, reprinted with permission.